November 14, 2012

Calaguas Part 2: Where time stops and starts at the same time


It was almost 5 PM when we finally docked the shores of Mahabang Buhangin. No tourists.No tents.No other boats. Just us.We were welcomed by Mang Ramon but our immediate concern was to find the perfect spot to pitch our tent. The trip going to Calaguas was another story.

Running out of fuel in the middle of the sea


Searching for the best spot. Me: AYAN NAAAAA!!! Dali sunset naaaa!! ( prinsesita mode )



Over dinner of hotdogs and tuna, we were caressed by the glorious Calaguas sunset. We were prepping for bed at 8 PM. In the middle of the night I was awakened by howling winds and screechy noises. It was raining. The walls of our abode became damp and now I'm worried it'll start to drip.


Calaguas Sunset

Enchanting display of colors in Calaguas.


Our buddy for the night.

In the morning, I was thankful because our tent did not leak and eventhough the skies was not clear, the picturesque landscape surrounding me was beyond what I expected. Now It was just me again. My partner was still sleeping. Was it because it was a Monday?HAHA. Now I realize that it was a good thing I took James' advice to visit the island on a weekday since it really gets packed on weekends. YEY!


Beautiful drizzling morning in Mahabang Buhangin


Too lazy to wash that thing. #hammock


Isolated on the shores of Mahabang Buhangin


Water pump 

The rest of the afternoon was uneventful. No electricity. No restaurants  No TV. We had to conserve our batteries etc. But the experience made it more surreal.The only source of water was a nearby water pump with a long PVC pipe attached to it. Mang Ramon said that the pipe serves as a water filter. Talk about innovation.

Baby carabaos

Where the stream meets the ocean

On the nearby hill opposite side of the island, the views were picture perfect. It was because of the Kent Balbino shot I saw online that got me into researching and finally exploring Calaguas.




On our last night in the island, the winds grew stronger and the downpour became truly immense. A few hours after midnight our tent started to leak. And just after a few minutes, it started to flood inside. We panicked not knowing where to go! We raced to the nearby shelter with our huge backpacks while literally dragging our drenched tent.I love the adrenaline rush.What a great way to end our trip! :))


Dripping wet tent 


Many would compare the beautiful shores of Mahabang Buhangin to that of Boracay. They say that this piece of paradise was like Boracay 30 years ago. Having been to Boracay, I can say that they have their own charm. In this situation, I think Calaguas is one of the best spots to truly commune with nature. It's one of the best places to watch the sunset. No pretensions. Like a mothers' embrace. This place gives me comfort.


Overlooking the white stretch

Calaguas best defines how beautiful it is to be isolated.This is my happy beach and so far its still on top of my list.

Check out my Calaguas series :

Calaguas : Where Time Stops and Starts at the Same Time Part 1

>Travel Guide : Calaguas

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Calaguas is still my favorite.Picturesque and isolated. Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  2. gandang wagas tlga ang calaguas."VIEWTIFUL" babalik balikan tlga sana forever syang ganyan ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sobra ganda talaga.Ibang klase.sana nga forever na ganun :))

      Delete
  3. Calaguas is such a beauty. I was here three times in 2011. I'd love to go back this year.

    Anyhow, thanks for liking my fb page. I appreciate it really. Who knows, we could travel together someday. :)

    Here's to more adventures this 2013! :)

    ReplyDelete